Tuesday, August 18, 2009

No probs if u've lost ur hibernation files!!!

Vista OS.the 10GB hard disk space-seeker has always made me to ask for more space.When i bought my lappy with a space configuration of 160GB, i did not know that 160 GB is not enough for a movie-buff like me.This misjudgment resulted in a disaster,i used to have 4-5 app crashes(i heard tats a space constraint problem) and an extremely slow PC.Within a week,i had free hard disk space left as 666 MB out of 160 GB,huh.

The reason..I had 60 GB of movies,20 GB of softwares and 25 GB of docs and misc stuff..
I started to wonder Wat shall be done,and i went for disk cleanup,i found tat the hibernation files were using some 2.5GB of files (as u can see applications are not closed when one hibernates the pc).i promptly deleted them and was happy to have a 3 GB space back.

Here the problem occurred,naturally i was not able to hibernate my pc and the usual shutdown-restart procedure persisted.This cycle used to get my system to a operable state only after 15 min of essential procedures.

As i hate slow,crap pc's,i was forced to conclude that space=overhead was better than time=overhead.The solution was to restore my hibernation files,but how????
I hit upon a procedure,its like....

1. Click the Start button.

2. Select All Programs.

3. Select Accessories.

4. Right-click on Command Prompt.

5. Select Run as Administrator.

6. When the UAC prompt appears, click Continue.

7. Type powercfg /hibernate on and press Enter on your keyboard.

8. Close the Command Prompt window.

9. Reboot your PC.


I blame vista as it has least to offer for the 10 GB space(approx) it takes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment